Friday, July 12, 2013

Helping a friend conquer height fears

Climbing shoes came on the road for the first time. 

The venue: Brooklyn Boulders. Wednesday night. 

Workmates said it was going to be super hipster- it was. But heck, I live in SF's Mission. I can ride bike and cook organic vegan with the best of them!



My friend Brian came to the rock gym with me. What I didn't know was that he has a pretty bad fear of heights, and wanted to climb to conquer it. 

We bouldered a little bit (their grading felt easier than the ones at Mission Cliffs), and 'auto belay' - which is a retractable chord hanging from the roof. I was not allowed to teach B to TR properly since I'm not a 'certified instructor'. 

After some trepidation, B was able to climb almost the whole length of the wall


Meanwhile I allegedly climbed some 10c's that cannot possibly be...


Rounded out the night by singing R Kelly acapella with a Krav Maga instructor!

 I'm grateful B trusted me enough to be hooked onto a chord to climb up the air, and caught up for sushi and sake afterwards :)

No comments:

Post a Comment