Saturday, July 13, 2013

Public transport confessional: Montreal edition

JFK -> YUL. 

It's 0430 local time and my body is lost. Awake and roaring to go. The timezone we're most aligned with is GMT, which is utterly useless since I'm not there. 

I'm in Montreal for 48 hours. A la Anthony Boudain style, it will be short, sweet and action packed. On the agenda is poutine, beer, smoked duck, walking ridiculous distances to burn off these deliciousness and maybe even going to a dragon boat festival. 

But first- another airport, another plane type and another set of rules. 

Starting with this- a bus ride through the Tarmac of JFK, because my little Tin Can is gated somewhere outside the main Delta terminal (T4)


and it looks a little something like this...


the pilot was good enough to take the piss out of his industry, "lets hope for minimal delay in takeoff. Of course no delay is ideal, but this is JFK after all"

Fast forward 55 mins - we're not in the US anymore when you're allowed to take pictures like this

 
This 'not in US' observation was further reinforced by the immigration agent voicing his opinion about the Asiana 214 pilots and asked why I wasn't scared to fly out of SFO so soon after. 

He also asked who I was planning to visit, and was taken aback when I said no one (it took me awhile to realize its probably because of the Cali home address).

So far on this trip - while on public transport - I've been racially profiled (well intentioned and not so), and asked to engage in discussions about Egypt, plane crashes and the meaning of thinking (pov of Mohammed and Christ). 

I like these kinds of discussions but do wonder why me, vs. the other thousands of peeps who go through airports, subways, buses and taxis daily. Why am I being challenged to be diplomatic?

Perhaps, at least in the airport instances, it has something to with my best travel buddy ever. 

To quote the airport gate agent, "now what nationality is this?"

Do I exude the air of someone who's been around (tee hee!)? 

Whatever the higher meaning is, I am grateful to be trusted with other's opinions and thoughts. I hope I added a little to their lives and they certainly did to mine. 

It's a deep one today. But all good in the spirit of adventure and living :)

No comments:

Post a Comment